Motion sickness is the number one killer of a nice gaming session. The typical sinking sensation in your stomach, as well as rising nausea, might swiftly appear and ruin the game.
Don’t let motion sickness keep you from playing your favorite games when a few simple adjustments could help you play without the nausea.
Can Video Games Cause Motion Sickness?
Some people may have motion sickness as a result of playing video games. Because you aren’t moving, but your brain thinks you are when the perspective on the screen shifts, it’s also known as simulator sickness.
While it’s improbable that every game, from io games to first-person shooters, will produce motion sickness, it’s not impossible.
What Causes Motion Sickness
Experts are baffled as to why video games might cause motion sickness. One hypothesis revolves around your ears, which are one of the ways your body communicates that you’re moving.
Your eyes provide motion feedback while playing a video game, but your ears are aware that you are not moving. Motion sickness could be caused by a discrepancy in your senses.
Games to Avoid with Motion Sickness
For people who suffer from motion sickness, some games are worse than others. If these Motion Sickness Video Games are your favorites, however, there are several remedies that can help you enjoy them.
First-person Shooter Motion Sickness Games
Halo Infinite is a video game developed by 343 Industries. Games like Call of Duty or Halo typically feature a head bob, making them difficult to play for those who suffer from motion sickness. However, you can disable that effect to test if it was the source of your sickness, and if it was, continue playing.
Also, as much as possible, avoid using first-person mode. You can play in third-person mode in almost all shooting games. Make an effort to keep to it. This could be beneficial to you.
Some gamers may become motion sick when playing the Lego Games, which include a variety of games ranging from Batman to Star Wars. Certain people believe that it is the settings that are creating it, and that changing them elicits the experience.
Although it is not available in all games in the series, check your video and gameplay settings to see if you can disable motion blur. It could be beneficial if you can.
When it comes to motion sickness while playing Minecraft, altering your perspective might sometimes assist. Others get comfort by practicing one of the following:
- Modify the FOV (field of view) setting. The field of view (FOV) determines how much of the world is visible as you play. When the FOV is set incorrectly, some persons experience a considerable increase in motion sickness. To test if you can get rid of the motion sickness, try increasing or decreasing it by five points at a time.
- Change your player’s perspective or turn off head bobbing.
- A new texture pack is available for download. The pixelated design of the game can be frustrating for certain players; something about it seems to cause motion sickness in some people. This problem can be solved with texture packs.
Many people experience motion sickness when playing virtual reality games. If you’re new to virtual reality, start with seated games to get used to the sensation. It’s possible that starting with games that involve more movement is too much, too soon.
As soon as you begin to feel nauseous, stop playing. If you try to push through the discomfort, it’s probable that it will get worse. It’s best to wait till the emotion passes before returning to the game.
Some players have found success with setting up a fan and allowing cool air to rush past their body while playing.
Many mobile games might cause sickness because they are frequently played with a screen close to your face. If you’re getting unwell while playing a mobile game, move it away from you.
It can also assist you move your body in the direction of your gaming character, which is more difficult to do when the phone is on a stand. Motion sickness can also be alleviated by using a phone with a larger screen or a higher-resolution screen. You can see fine detail without holding it up to your eyes.
The Uncharted Series
Many players have reported experiencing sickness while playing Uncharted games. If this happens to you, try lowering the motion blur settings. They utilized a lot of it to fix FPS issues in various games, and that’s one of the main reasons why people become nauseous while playing.
Motion Sickness in Third-person Games
While motion sickness is less common in third-person games than it is in first-person games, it can still occur. Check when you’re becoming sick in third-person games if you’re getting sick.
You might be able to reduce it by switching to a cinematic camera in cars, turning off motion bob, or altering the field of view.
How to Prevent Motion Sickness in Video Games
You can attempt a few different tactics to help you feel better while playing your favorite games.
- Rearrange your seating to be further away from the television. If your face is too close to the screen, you may have trouble recognizing that you aren’t moving. Return to your original position to observe if your symptoms have lessened.
- Every now and then, get up and take a walk around the room. Breaking the link between you and the screen can help you play games without getting motion sick.
- Set a time restriction for yourself. Try to observe when you start to feel ill and write it down. To avoid sickness, play games in shorter intervals.
- If you eat ginger candy, peppermint candy, or gum while playing, you might feel better. The activity, as well as the flavor, can assist you in orienting yourself and overcoming your nausea.
- In games with multiple viewpoints, switch to third-person mode. As previously stated, certain persons may experience sickness when playing in first-person mode. Playing in third person allows you to concentrate on the character rather than the scenery.
- Reduce your motion sensitivity to avoid feeling as if you’re going too quickly. This can make you feel less like you’re moving for certain folks.
- Try moving your body in VR games in the same way that your character moves in the game. It can help you feel less unwell by bringing your body into alignment with your senses.
Do Motion Sickness Glasses Work?
I couldn’t locate any clinical evidence that motion sickness glasses are effective — or ineffective. Trying them out seems to bring some relief to some folks. If you decide to give them a try, look for a pair with a decent return policy so you can get your money back if they don’t work out for you.
Many reviewers were pleased with their motion sickness glasses, while others saw little improvement.