Toothache might occur due to several reasons that include – fractured tooth, infected gums, tooth decay, abscessed tooth or damaged filling. Some of these problems might mean loss of your tooth and supporting the bone. The bacterial infections might spread to other body parts and so, you need to seek for emergency dental treatment in case you have any of these symptoms:
- Swollen or red gums
- Throbbing pain
- Salty taste in your mouth
- Blood or pus
- Swollen jaw or face
Whatever might be the cause of your oral pain, you need to see an emergency dentist in London for complete evaluation of your mouth. Read the blog post to know about 10 ways to get rid of a toothache.
Put a cold compress to stop severe toothache
– You will find two ways to stop severe toothache. The first is lessening inflammation and the second is interrupting signals from an injury to your brain. You will attain the goal by applying cold pack or frozen vegetables at the side of your face for at least 20 minutes. Make sure you take a piece of cloth so that you may not cause damage to your skin. This will help to get rid of the discomfort by lessening the swelling and pain.
Take anti-inflammatory medication to lessen toothache
– You may lessen the pain and swelling by taking anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen. You should try to take the medication in every few hours, as per the label of the product. Do not take the medication once and stop after you get relief or else the pain will probably return. In case you do not have ibuprofen, you may take acetaminophen as this can help to ease the pain. But it is not any anti-inflammatory medication.
Rinse with salt water to get rid of your tooth pain
– Other than applying cold compresses and taking over-the-counter medications, you will find other natural ways to get rid of a toothache. You may clean the infection so that you can promote temporary relief from pain by rinsing mouth with salt water. A toothache can be treated by taking salt water as it may heal oral wounds and help in lessening the inflammation. It is suggested that you do not swallow any salt water at the time of rinsing.
Apply a hot pack on the area where pain come from
– You can lessen the pain and discomfort with a hot pack at your jaw’s side. You may make one by filling a clean sock with rice and then trying it at one end. After this, you can put the rice-filled sock into your microwave and then heat it for a few minutes. The heat from your pack can lessen pain from the mouth to the brain.
Try acupressure to lessen toothache
– Acupressure can lessen toothache by making your body to produce endorphins. There are some specific points on your body that are related to dental discomfort. If you want to try acupressure, then you need to conduct proper research for getting more information about it.
Use peppermint tea bags
– Peppermint bags possess the properties of mild numbing that can lessen oral pain for a short time. Most people can cool tea bags in the freezer for some minutes before using it. You may use tea bag when it remains warm and wait for it to become cool. This may form a pleasing sensation that can keep your mind away from severe toothache.
Try garlic to ease the tooth pain
– Garlic is used due to its medicinal properties. Apart from killing harmful bacteria, it may act like a pain reliever. If you want to try garlic for toothaches, then take a clove for making sticky paste and then apply it on your affected area. You may even chew a clove of garlic and then spit it out later.
Rinse properly with guava mouthwash
– Guava leaves consist of anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that can ease the pain and sterilise dental wounds. You may either boil crushed guava leaves or chew on guava leaves to form a mouthwash.
Use clove oil to get relief from toothache
– Clove oil can be used for treating oral pain and lessening inflammation. It has eugenol, which is natural antiseptic for sterilising dental wounds. If you want to treat a toothache, then you may apply a small amount of oil on a cotton ball and then dab it properly on your affected area. You may even dilute clove oil with some water drops or add carrier oil, if needed.
Try homemade thyme in the form of mouthwash
– Thyme consists of antibacterial and antioxidant properties. You may add some drops of thyme oil with water to form a mouthwash and lessen toothache. You can even mix oil with some water drops and then add it to a cotton ball for applying to the affected area.
Thus, you need to visit a dentist who will assess your past medical record and then conduct an oral examination for treating your toothache. He may ask some questions related to your toothache, such as when it happened, where it is there in your mouth, how severe it has, what makes you feel good and bad. The dentist will also examine your teeth, gums and other areas in your mouth properly. You might be asked to conduct X-rays and other tests to know the exact cause of your problem.
If the nerve of your tooth has been infected, you might have to perform root canal therapy. If the area has got infected, the emergency dentist in London will prescribe antibiotic medication to kill the bacteria. The dentists will occasionally use phototherapy cold laser along with other dental treatments to lessen the pain and inflammation. You can visit at www.emergencydentistinlondon.co.uk to book an urgent appointment for toothache relief.