In the era of mobile phones, the number of mobile phone users has exceeded desktop users. Therefore, attracting users to your company’s services has become a challenge.
People commonly perceive both mobile and website apps to be the same thing. However, it is a misconception that is far away from the truth. In reality, both mobile apps and web apps are vastly different from one another.
It has become essential to optimize their services to enhance user experience and accelerate conversion rates.
While some companies employ a neutral stance and work on developing both mobile and website apps, others face a dilemma when deciding on either of the two.
This guide will help you understand what mobile and web apps are in the first place and aid you in distinguishing between the two, and determine which is the better option.
Mobile Apps Vs. Web Apps
To better understand the difference between the two, it is essential to know what they are. Web apps are essentially websites that are designed fluidly and respond to being viewed using a smartphone.
Web apps offer ease of accessibility as they are compatible with all devices. They are made to be fully functional and accessible through any device as they run on a browser. However, they require an active Internet connection for you to access them.
Furthermore, these websites are either static, in which rarely any changes are made, or they can be dynamic and interactive. The way a web app is built is also different from how mobile apps are created.
On the other hand, mobile apps have become a significant part of everyone’s life. A mobile app is essentially any application you can run on a handheld device. However, you need to download it to your mobile’s storage for you to be able to use it.
Moreover, they have a specific function that it caters to and provides particular services to the user.
Correspondingly, there is a vast categorization of the mobile apps rooting from the services they offer. There are further sub-types of mobile apps that can be broadly divided into native and hybrid apps.
A native app is built for targeted platforms using their particular SDK. The primary aim of these is cohesion between performance and capability and the underlying hardware.
Contrarily, hybrid mobile apps are the balance between native apps and web apps, as they combine the best features of them both. Although typically you have to download them, they can also be built specifically for the OS.
Pros and Cons of Mobile Apps and Web Apps
To make the tough decision between mobile apps and web apps, it is best to weigh the pros and cons of both and choose the more suitable app that meets your needs.
Pros of Mobile Apps:
- They are independent of an Internet connection
- Faster than web apps
- Can access system resources
- SDKs, developer tools, etc., make their development more convenient
Cons of Mobile Apps:
- Their development is comparatively more expensive
- Compatibility varies from platform to platform; therefore, they are usually developed from scratch
- Updates and maintenance is costly and time-consuming
- Approval from the app store is essential
Pros of Web Apps:
- Do not take up device storage as they run on the browser
- Common coding and programming makes them easier to update and maintain
- Web apps get updated automatically and users don’t have to hustle
- More confident to develop as they can be built quickly and with ease
- Launching is not an issue as they don’t require approval from the web store
Cons of Web Apps:
- They are dependent upon an active Internet connection
- Comparatively slower as they take more time to load
- Finding them can be challenging as they aren’t available on app marketplaces
- Their security is doubtful as it doesn’t need permissions
- The chances of coming across a poor quality web app is higher
The Right Choice for You
Depending on the services your company offers, your choice can vary. To put an end to this confusion, you can take the aid of web development consultants as well.
Primarily, you should look at the services you offer. Secondly, figure out which of the two apps cater to the needs of your services to be made available to the world.
This guide encompasses the basics of web apps and mobile apps. It is crucial to know the fundamentals before you take professional help so that you understand the requirements of your work and can better relay your expectations and needs.