The medical field is one of the most extensive sectors with an enormous number of workers. Medical workers are often considered the most hard-working people with long duty times, and the unique requirements and workload of this field developed some considerations in clothing.
The clothing should support their long working hours and stressful work. Due to these considerations, dresses like scrub pants, scrub tops, etc., are usually used by people in the medical field. These dresses are light and breathable as well as easy to clean. Not only dresses but also several other accessories are required for a medical worker due to the nature of their job. The workers need to keep their bodies clean and safe while caring for patients. And for that, various accessories like gloves, masks, caps, etc., are used by the medical workers.
Unlike dress selection for regular people, the choice of dress for medical use has many constraints. The dress that satisfies all these constraints is the best suitable for medical purposes.
- Lightweight: The cloth should be of light material for ease of wearing. This feature helps the person to remain comfortable during long work hours.
- Breathable material: The long working hours can make the person sweat easily, and a breathable dress material can avoid this problem. This type of material also reduces the chances of irritation.
- Easy to clean: The chance of getting dirty by various pollutants in the hospital atmosphere is high. Meanwhile, some stains, like blood stains, are hard to remove. Also, medical workers may work most of the days of the week. All these requirements lead to the need for a dress that is easy to clean. As such, both the stain removal and drying of the cloth should be easy.
- Allow movement: Medical work requires a ton of physical activities. And it includes supporting patients, moving objects, etc. So the dress should not restrict the movement of hands and legs.
Suitable Dress Items
- Scrub pants: These are widely used by medical professionals like doctors, nurses, and other medical workers. They are lightweight, easy to wear pants made from breathable materials. Moreover, they are easy to wash and dry and give comfort to the person.
- Scrub tops: These are similar to scrub pants and are comfortable. They come in different colours and sizes. Also, the number of pockets can vary in various tops. And unlike regular tops, it is easy to wear and comfortable to work in.
- Lab coats: Several professionals in the medical field use lab coats. The purpose of lab coats can vary according to the section of the medical field. But all the lab coats are expected to safeguard the person from dangerous substances. Also, it can prevent the spread of chemicals or other contaminants in the lab to the outside.
- Tunics: These are similar to scrub tops but made of slightly different materials, and the design has variations. It is typically longer than scrub tops, and the overall design of both dresses varies.
Unlike other institutions, hospitals need to be kept clean. And, the personnel in the hospitals are required to wear some protective accessories. They will protect the person from infectious diseases and keep the patient from cross-contamination.
- Mask: They are primary and fundamental protective accessories every hospital worker uses. It will safeguard the person from infections that spread through the air. These are also useful for avoiding the transfer of ailments to the patients from the medical worker. Several types of masks are available for different situations.
- Gloves: Gloves protect the person from getting their hands dirty, and in the case of surgeries, the gloves will avoid the contamination of wounds by the hands of the attending professionals.