A press release is an essential marketing tool for any new business. It’s a chance to announce your new company, product, or service to the world – with no middleman involved.
It can be tough to know where to start with press release writing. How do you make sure that yours stands out? What are some common mistakes that people make – and how can you avoid them?
Writing press releases is a vital part of running your small business.
Always think about what’s newsworthy about your press release, but try to include the features that make it interesting to readers – so they’ll take notice.
Pick up some tips on press release writing below, with five easy steps to press release success!
- Get press coverage for your press release by choosing the right title for it. A general, catchy headline is great – but journalists are very busy people who are unlikely to click through if you don’t manage to hook them with a specific headline that relates exactly to the story inside.
- Don’t assume press releases are only about business. Press releases can also be used to announce things like charity fundraising initiatives or sporting events, so there is no limit to what you can use press release writing for!
- If you’re press releasing an update on your business, don’t just write a press release with the details of the development in it. Instead, write a press release that includes the press release writing of both updates and new developments. Think about including quotes from appropriate people in your press release – it will help you to engage with readers emotionally too.
- Write press releases that tailor for different audiences. A press release that’s written for customers is going to be very different from a press release that’s written for the media. Make sure press releases are always in line with your target audience and you’ll see improved press coverage.
- Don’t forget about SEO when writing press releases – it can be a real traffic generator if done right. Include key search terms in press releases to make them more likely to be read by people searching for relevant topics.
5 Easy Steps to Write a Press Release for a New Business
Introduce the company and share its background
The purpose of a press release is to get the word out about a company’s new product(s) or service(s); typically, it includes information about what exactly is being offered and why it matters. A well-written press release can get your business the exposure you need to become recognized in your industry.
In order to write a successful press release, it’s important to take into account the points below.
What’s in it for the reader?
The most successful press releases are those that address the readers’ needs. Find out what your readers want, and provide it in your release.
- Make sure you have something newsworthy written by someone who knows how to write a newsworthy release.
Your news will only be considered newsworthy if it relates to the readers’ interests and needs. Write what matters to your audience, and it’ll get read!
- Make sure you have all the information you need before starting your writing process: company name, location, contact info, and the date of the release.
Make sure you have all this information written down and accessible while writing your press release; it’ll save you time and make the process smoother.
- Make sure to include quotes from sources within your company who can share knowledge about your new product(s) or service(s).
Getting expert opinions from within your company makes for a more engaging press release, and it’s good practice to include such sources.
Make sure you double-check all of your facts!
It’s time-consuming but very important; don’t let anything slip through the cracks! Double-check all facts and information before submitting your press release: name spellings, dates, numbers, etc.
- Include relevant keywords in your press release so it shows up when searched online.
Doing this gives your release greater exposure to readers who are specifically searching for the information you’ve provided! This step is important because it’s what helps your company gain more business.
- Make sure you end with “For Immediate Release” and contact info for questions.
This shows that you’re committed to providing accurate, timely information to those who read your release; it also ensures that your readers will be able to find out more about what you’ve provided them with!
Press releases can be anywhere from 100-400 words in length.
Take a look at other press releases in your field to get an idea of what style and length work best! The most important thing is that you provide your readers with interesting facts and information about your business or product(s) or service(s).
- Consider writing the article in the 3rd person (he/she) instead of the 1st person (I/we).
This will allow you to get more personal with your target market while still providing them with the information they need!
Create a list of what’s new about this product or service
Many products, services, and businesses across the world are introduced every day. Because of this, there’s always room for new developments to make news. A press release is an important tool that businesses can use to get their products or services into the public eye by getting them out into different media sources. Here are some steps on how to write a good press release.
One of the first things to do is have an idea about what you are going to write so that you can get straight into it when you sit down to type. You might want to come up with a catchy title, but don’t use one until you finish writing all of your content because titles may be edited if they aren’t deemed to be appropriate for the readership of the media source.
When you’re putting together your press release, make sure that you include all of the relevant information about what it is that you are adding to the world.
Explain how it will benefit customers
Writing a press release can be difficult. You need to get your point across without losing readers, and you also need to do so in 3-5 paragraphs. To help you get started on writing a press release for a new business, here are five steps that will make creating an attention-grabbing release easier:
- Start with the basics.
- Introduce your main points in brief sentences.
- Don’t forget the details.
- Avoid common pitfalls in your writing.
- Don’t forget the conclusion.
Include a quote from the CEO on why people should buy this product/service
“Writing a product press release is often one of the most challenging parts of marketing for small businesses. Many entrepreneurs tempt to simply put their head down and get on with running the business, but it’s important to take an active role in promoting your products or services if you want them to be successful.”
– Mark Sherman, COO at Startup Professionals, LLC
Whether you’re launching the next “it” product or simply want to get the word out about your new company, writing a press release is essential. Press releases are typically written in the third person and should be highly informative while also engaging readers. They can include things like background information on the product, quotes from experts in the field, and details on how to order or otherwise take advantage of the new product. Writing a press release gives businesses additional exposure through news outlets, bloggers, and other sources.
Provide contact information to make an appointment for a demo
Contacting the media is a great way to get your business information out there and in front of potential customers. Writing a press release allows you to share your story with both a local and a national audience.
Once you’ve gotten the reader’s attention, it’s time to follow up with a short description of your business and your offerings. You can do so by writing something like: “We are located downtown next to the flower shop. We offer wedding cakes for all occasions.
Press releases must be newsworthy. So it will help to think of an interesting angle that hasn’t been covered by other businesses. If you can’t think of anything original, it’s okay to be straightforward. The reader will appreciate the information if they are looking for something specific.