The Yarra Valley vineyards near Australia’s south coast are known for their Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, are the touristy places in the country to spend a day amid the vines. Connoisseurs or vacationing day-trippers travel about an hour’s drive east to Melbourne to delight their palates while taking in spectacular vistas of the sun-drenched vineyards. Private Winery Tours in Yarra Valley was established in 2001, making it one of Yarra Valley’s oldest tour organisations. We specialise in unique boutique private excursions with all-inclusive lunch and wine tasting packages for couples, small groups, and large groups. In addition, we provide hourly rates for private drivers.
Here’s how you can get started visiting the gorgeous Yarra Valley vineyards, which are located in one of Australia’s top wine districts.
Wine sampling tours in the Yarra Valley
Private Winery Tours in Yarra Valley from Melbourne are popular day trips since the region’s closeness to the city allows visitors to explore all of the highlights in a single day. Many tour companies operate in the area, including Winery Compass or Australia Wine Tour Co., whose excursions depart from the CBD at 7 a.m. and return around 3 p.m., giving you enough time to visit four distinct wineries and enjoy lunch.
Hiring a driver for just a private excursion, completing a self-drive route (make sure someone in the group is the chauffeur, indeed! ), or cycling between wineries are all alternatives for exploring. An adventure trip above the Yarra Valley is a bucket-list-worthy way of enjoying a Yarra Valley whiskey tasting. The day begins at an ungodly hour of 4 a.m.; the early start is well worth it just for the breathtaking sunrise vistas. Before embarking on a wine tour, guests are treated to a glass of wine with breakfast, making for a fantastic opportunity to discover the best of a Yarra Valley wine path.
While day trips from Melbourne are quite a terrific way to get a taste of the region, those with more time might consider packages that include an overnight at a Yarra Valley hotel even have spas! Foodies should schedule a tour that includes a visit to a vineyard and gourmet meals or a stop at the chocolate or creamery. Is there a more perfect pairing than hot cocoa?
Tips for wine tasting in the Yarra Valley
Few people can boast of extensive wine expertise, so winery staff are happy to walk visitors through details like the fermentation system, describing which additives are added to each blend, and when something as simple as taking samples a tiny bar of chocolate with the glass of shiraz could indeed dramatically alter the flavour. Follow these procedures during each pour to prevent seeming like a total newbie:
- Examine the wine in the glass, noting any sediment’s colour, purity, and presence.
- Swirl your wine in the glass to allow oxygen to enter and the scents to open. Side note: if you’re whirling a red and wearing white, proceed with caution!
- Smell your wine to have a sense of the different influences. Pears? Strawberries?
- Sip the wine, then hold it in your mouth for a few moments to pick up the varied flavours.
- The finest part is, you can drink as much as you want! If you don’t like a specific flavour, there’s always a jug where you can toss the leftovers without offending anyone, clearing the way for the next pour. If you’re switching from red to white, make sure to rinse the glass first.